Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Woo who?


Today was the last day of Finals Week for me, 3 exams down, 1 final presentation to go. The class? Watercolor Painting. On a scale of hours needed to complete the work assigned, it ranks somewhere between Technical Theater and Biology 101, and although stressful working with a deadline, a more enriching experience.

As it turns out, this class has provided the practice I needed in letting go of my perfectionist ideals. A great example of this is the painting posted here. I chose the composition with the intention of painting every rock individually. How crazy is that? Before you answer that, apply it to every aspect of my Parenthood/Student/Employee/Artist life. See?

As an artist, my favorite style of painting is Impressionism, the idea that an image can be produced, with or without a random technique, and every brush stroke and drop of paint can appear so deliberate and natural. With Impressionism, you often have to step back and view it from a distance to understand it completely.

So this morning I loaded up the car for school. My framed painting, ready for display in the student art show this Spring, my portfolio and an extra pane of picture frame glass. My portfolio, a soft-sided 2x3 carrier, which I had leaned against the car fell over when I turned the key to unlock the trunk, but the glass inside was unharmed.

I felt lucky, but at the same time, confused. Why did I bring a sheet of glass that I had no intention of using? Rushed for time, I carefully laid it flat in the trunk and continued on to school. I slipped into the classroom and quietly made my way around the back to my usual table, glancing at the variety of paintings my classmates had on the tables in front of them.

Just as I approached my table, an unbelievable scene played out in front of me. One of my classmates had apparently dropped his framed painting and broken the glass from corner to corner, I could feel the disappointment and sadness he must have felt, trying to decide what to do next. I just stood staring in disbelief for a moment and then trying to calm myself and not draw too much attention, I offered him my extra glass.

His shock and gratitude was equal to the satisfaction I felt at being able to help him.
When he proudly displayed his work at the front of the class for his presentation, the entire class, including the instructor seemed to let out a sigh of relief, they had, I guess, been witness to the accident. His presentation was a success. And the pride I had in my own paintings now paled in comparison to the aura of positivity that blanketed the room. Call it lucky, coincidence or fate, sometimes the small things that we need come to us by strange random happenstance, but the residual effects can be interminable.

Those who are aware of my Strengths might cite this event as proof: Learner, Positivity, Achiever, Connectedness, and Woo. If this can be considered "Woo", I think those of us endowed with the "diplomatic" strength can stand proud. *sings* "It takes Woo to make a thing go ri-ight, it takes Woo to make it out of site" I'm sure that's what Soul II Soul meant. ;)

My take on the situation? God. Yeah, not all miracles are earth-shaking, cloud-breaking, sunlight streaming, and a choir of angels singing events. And I don't need the voice of James Earl Jones to answer all my questions.
Happy St. Patrick's Day, have a Safe Spring Break, look out Spring Term, here I come!

K.

1 comment:

  1. I "accidentally" went to the wrong art shop to frame my painting, they don't cut mats on demand, you have to submit an order. Turns out my niece works in the frame shop there, and shhhh, matted my painting for me. Then I suggested to my Mom, who has a mat cutting device that we practice on the cardboard packaging that the mat came in, after she cut it, we flipped it over.. it was the perfect shade of green for my other painting. :)

    ReplyDelete